Tuesday 2 July 2013

Success Lies In Your Own Hands

I always believe that we control our own fate, although recently I think otherwise, as there are many external factors which will affect us. Nevertheless, we still have the power to dictate our own life. Again, it's all in the mind.

Appreciate What You Have
Many times, I hear people complain how bad a lecturer is. I hear people complain how bad the lecture theatre is. I hear people say they have no mood to study and will definitely do badly because of these factors. I always disagree and say the the lecturer is good. My best friend of many years, WJ, can testify to this. I always tell him I love this lecturer, I love that lecturer. In fact I love all my lecturers.

We should appreciate our lecturers. There is a group of lecturers who can speak well, who can bring across the points well. Everyone loves them. There is another group of lecturers who, due to their nationalities, cannot speak English well. Yes, we need to make some effort to understand them. But why are we complaining because of this? Usually, from my experience, these are the lecturers who are the easiest to approach. Just keep going to them to ask anything you don't know. Many times, their patience level is also the highest. Instead of complaining, do some revision, write a few questions, ask them. I'm sure you will start to love them the moment you are willing to take this first step.

Have Passion In What You Do

some modules samuel took in nus

Some people look at the modules I took and wonder why the modules I chose are of different fields and I seem to have so much passion in them. Focusing on EE3000 and EE4000 modules, there are 3 main areas, Microelectronics (1 module), Controls and Systems (3 modules), and Power Electronics (2 modules). EE3407 is a general module consisting a bit of many fields. My Final Year Project was in the Microelectronics field. Quite diversified? Yes. I chose them because I have passion in them. I want to know them. Always choose the modules you have passion in, not the modules which your friends are taking. Take charge of your learning.

Change Our Thoughts, Grow The Passion
On the other hand, we might not always have a choice in what we do. For example, I had to take non Electrical Engineering modules which I had no interest in, for example Dynamics of Interpersonal Effectiveness. I found it a waste of time. However, in order to conquer the module, I changed my thoughts. I grew passion for the module. When people ask me what I like to do, my reply will always be I like to do whatever I am doing, I like to do anything as long as it adds value. And I believe doing anything will add value, tangible or intangible or both, so I like to do anything.
Remember this, if we cannot change the circumstances, we can only change our thoughts. So, like what you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any feedback so that I can improve. :)