Friday 11 January 2019

How to approach a new chapter


Students have been asking me how I study. I always point them to this blog but since it's the start of the year, let me summarise some study techniques that I used when I was in school. In this post, I will give a general guideline on how to approach a new chapter. Do note that there are other elements to studying (read my other posts) and this is merely a short summary focusing on understanding a chapter.

Read through the notes beforehand
Right! Read through the notes before you step into the class. Read it on the way to school or read it the night before like a storybook. You may not understand it, but even reading word by word helps. It gives you an idea of how the notes are arranged and allows you to glance through some of the new words (you may not even see some technical terms before).

At times, the new chapter is linked to previous chapters and you may even develop some linkages on your own. This is definitely helpful when the teacher also makes link while teaching (you won't feel lost!).

Make notes during lesson
During the lesson, make notes. Whatever the teacher says, capture the important points and write down. Use short forms. Scribble. There is no right or wrong short forms. Develop your own, as long as you understand what you have written.

Review notes
After the lesson, read the notes again, together with what you have written. Add on notes if needed. From personal experience, I always have things to add on to my notes during review. I would recall something that the teacher said or link to another knowledge that I knew beforehand. Write them down.

Do homework
It is important to do homework. Doing homework makes sure that you are learning the right thing (if you get it correct) and points out any wrong concept (if you get it wrong). Doing homework also prepares you for the test and exam.

Ask questions and discuss
If you have any question, ask. You can ask your friends, parents/siblings/cousins, teachers, tutors, or anyone. Questions can be qualitative or quantitative. It can be a discussion on topics such as “do you think World War II can be avoided?” or simply a question “how to do integration by parts?”.

Do more (timed) practices
This is very important; in fact, this is the phase that prepares you for the exam. Time yourself when doing questions, do not spend more than what is allowed. When you are doing full year paper, make it like exam condition. Ask your family members not to disturb for the next x hours, lock yourself in the room, do it like you are in the exam hall. Always challenge yourself to do faster and more accurate the next time round.

Tuition
For students without tuition, it’s not an issue. You have to be more proactive and seek resources. There are assessment books everywhere and past year papers are sold throughout Singapore. Buy them, do them and get help from friends/teachers etc (see above).

For students with tuition, make full use of the tutor. Bombard the tutors with questions (especially for 1-1 tuition). Ask for more practices. Discuss topics with the tutor. Listen to and apply the tips given by the tutor (students usually feedback that the tips I give are not given in school. I believe there are countless tips out there and believe it or not, I am learning from my students everyday).


Hope this post helps. All the best for the new year! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any feedback so that I can improve. :)