Wednesday 21 August 2013

Enjoy The Process of Acquiring Knowledge

Studying is a process of learning new stuff, acquiring new knowledge. The time period for this process varies, from 2 years in Junior College to 6 years in Primary School, or maybe even more for other certifications. In any case, the time taken is not short, so enjoying the process is of utmost importance.

Do with friends

samuel in lecture with friends
samuel graduates with friends

When I was doing the module EE2011 (Engineering Electromagnetics) back in 2008, I quite hated it because of the intensive calculations. Double and triple integrations were inevitable and this was already considered the easiest task. The more difficult task was to form the equation in the first place. Throughout the course, I remember that I got none of my tutorial questions totally correct and this was very turn off for me. I nearly gave up. Luckily for me, I had my best friend WJ to depend on and WC for support. We worked together, we learned together, we made mistakes together. Doing with 1 or 2 friends will be good. As an added note, personally I don't really like bigger group as we will tend to get rowdy (you know what I mean) and get little or no work done in the end.

Do not think about the end
What is the end? Of course examination! I realise something over the years. Many people like going to school, some because it allows us to mingle with friends, some because we get to learn interesting things in class which we would not otherwise come across. But, most of us have one thing in common, we hate examination. Learning new things is fun. Sitting down and memorising them for the sake of the 2 hours in the examination hall is not. Many times, especially when the examination period is around the corner, we tend to get more and more worked up. This is normal because that's what we have been working for. And that's precisely why we are stress. So, let's try to focus on the process, treat everyday like the third week of school (usually the first two weeks are too slack, in NUS at least). Learn happily, learn without 'toxic thoughts'.

Take criticism positively
We improve only when we know our mistakes or weaknesses. Sometimes, we realise ourselves, at other times, we need another person to tell us. I know a few friends who cannot take criticism and I admit that sometimes me too. I feel that we should listen to all criticisms and think about them. Filter out those which are just out to put us down, act on those which are meant to help us. Remember, only true friends criticise constructively, so don't hate them just because they criticise you.

Move forward
The moment you walked out of the exam hall, the paper is over. The moment you got the result, that paper is totally history. Just like in life, always look forward. If you did well in an exam, celebrate a while and move forward. Acquire new knowledge, build up existing ones. Don't get complacent. If you did badly, learn from it and move forward. Don't get depressed. There is no need to harp over a badly done paper. One paper is not going to determine your future, as said by PM Lee in the National Day Rally 2013. Or like what Warren Buffett said, 'Never look back'. Take failures easy, move forward. When the whole world rejects you, upgrade yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any feedback so that I can improve. :)