Tuesday 1 October 2013

Take Charge of Your Own Learning

subjects samuel studied
I choose all my subjects own my own, with no outside pressure

Since I was young, my parents have never ever dictate what I should study. I chose the subjects on my own, I chose my schools on my own. They just gave me moral support, just like what they are still giving me now. Because of this, I consider myself very lucky. First, I receive zero stress from them. The most they would say is to study hard so that I can command a better salary in the future, and they say nothing further than that. Second, and most importantly, I was able to choose the subjects and courses I am most interested in.

Yes, being able to decide on your own education path is very valuable. Reading something of your own interest, you will only need half the effort to master the skill. The other half of the effort, in my opinion, is to get yourself up and start reading the topic. And so, if you have interest in the subject, you will have no issue starting on it.

Taking charge of your own learning also means that you should not blame anyone if you don't do well. I realise that many students tend to blame the teachers. Mr. X cannot speak good English, Ms. Y can never explain the concept well in class. Instead of playing the blame game, why not take charge and seek the answer actively? If Mr. X cannot speak good English, listen to the concept behind the lousy English. In fact, I think that using layman's terms to explain a scientific concept is easier to understand than using perfect English (maybe because my English is not good to begin with).

Just remember this, success lies in your own hands. Yes, you may be bounded by circumstances, but ultimately, especially in Singapore, I am sure that there are many helping hands around to pull you up. Make use of them. Just don't forget those hands when you have succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any feedback so that I can improve. :)