Friday 16 January 2015

Talk In AJC: Effective Learning

I am very honoured to be invited to give a talk to potential students of Anderson Junior College on 7th January 2015. In addition to sharing my AJC life, I touched on adapting to JC life, in particular the learning journey which is very different from Secondary School.

Talk In AJC: Effective Learning
I got this pair of AJ Bears as a token of appreciation. :)
The general feedback I got was that I am 'good and smart'. Hence, I am going to give a summary here and hope that it is useful to you too.

Give And Give
Part of learning is teaching. Teach your friends! They will ask questions which make you think more and in the process, know more.
Don't be selfish, share your notes! Sharing notes may be the first step towards a fruitful discussion with your friends. Sharing notes allows someone to vet your notes, in case you jotted down the wrong stuff.
In the process of giving, you are actually gaining. Remember the sentence which my Physics tutor told me, "The more you give, the more you get". So just give!

Ask And Ask
No question is stupid, ask any question. Although our best friend, Google, is always available, there are many questions which Google cannot explain well (at least to the level which students are comfortable with). Asking also kickstarts a conversation, and of course, you will learn more in the process of Q&A.

EQ Instead of IQ
We can never go far alone, whether in school or at work. Hence, make friends, not enemies. Take note of our own attitude, take note of how we treat people. Be aware of your surrounding, and take time to help those in needs. Form study group, it doesn't matter if you are the strongest in the group. The power of a team is more than the sum of the individual.

3 main slides with a few words were what I needed to bring my point across. In short, have fun together, learn together, help one another out and in the process, you would have attained not only good grades, but also good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any feedback so that I can improve. :)