Monday 17 June 2013

4 Tips For Effective Teaching And Learning

Since my last post, some of you commented to me that I never really describe what is my approach of teaching and learning at the same time. So here you go, below are some of my approaches.


Teach in layman terms

In other words, talk simple. Due to my limited English, and my "ability" to pronounce many technical terms wrongly although I can spell them perfect (I still inter-change between ellipse and eclipse), I tend to use layman terms. And I find that it helps in getting the other party to understand. A blessing in disguise indeed. For example, instead of "ellipse", I use "oval". Instead of using "cobalamin", I will just use "vitamin B-12". Now ask yourself, how many people, yourself included, will more likely remember ellipse or oval? How many of us know eating vitamin B-12 is good for health VS how many of us will think that eating cobalamin will land us in jail, just because it sounds like some restricted drug?
I also tend to use a mixture of Mandarin, English and even Chinese Dialect to discuss with my friends. The most important thing here is to understand the concept, forming it in the brain, and not get hindered by the language.

Use analogy

analogy is important to understand

How many of us find the above diagram familiar? Those of us who took Physics will know that a direct current circuit is always represented first by a water pipe with water (electricity) flowing. This is needed because we can see and feel water flowing through a pipe while we cannot see (although we can feel once in a lifetime) electricity flowing through a piece of wire. Analogy, thus, will make a concept be explained easily. It aids visualisation. Never mind if the analogy is flawed, as long as it brings across the general idea. Anyway, there is no perfect analogy to begin with.

Talk about it in a fun way

"We represent an AND gate". This was the answer I gave when our common friend, Desmond from the US, asked why my roommate, WJ, and I always appear together and he even joked that WJ is my other half. What is an AND gate? It only gives positive if both of us are, meaning we will go out only if we go out together, else we don't. This definitely sounds very geeky. However it has two main advantage. First, you put into use the things you have learned. Second is, of course, you made some people laugh at your "lame" joke while others will boo in a jokingly way. In any case, it definitely livens up the atmosphere. :D

Relate to daily activities

Related to the previous points, let's relate what we have learned into common daily activities. If you wish to remember the difference between frequency and period, think about the brushing of teeth. Brushing at a high frequency seems to shorten the time period we take to brush (dentist may have different opinion here?). Doesn't this give us the inverse relationship between frequency and period?

Summary

Let's overcome our high coefficient of static friction. Start moving, try these methods now. Once you get started, the coefficient of dynamic friction will be less (although this may not be true with new findings) and you'll move with less force, more fluidly.

p.s. you can contact me anytime if you need flawed analogies... :p

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any feedback so that I can improve. :)