Thursday 20 June 2013

4 Unorthodox Methods For Tackling Examination

Examination at the end of a course tests what we have learned. Although it may not be a true reflection of what we know (a few questions can never truly test our knowledge), we must recognize that examination still plays an important part in education, especially in Singapore.

Examination can be stress for some of us, it can also be relaxing for the rest of us. To me, it's all in the mind, it's all what you think and feel. Ultimately, we control our own feeling.

Here are some unorthodox methods which I use to make myself feel comfortable during and before examination.

Dress Code

wear what makes you smarter

I believe we all have our own favourite shirt/dress/pants. When we wear it, we just feel good, feel confident, feel like we are going on a winning streak that day. During my 4.5 years in NUS, I always try to wear my favourite shirt, the Stitch shirt, to the examination hall, at least for the most important paper/day (judge yourself which is the most important) of the semester if I have papers on consecutive days.
For those required to wear uniform, wear your good-luck watch, put your bracelet in your pocket if you can't wear it. As long as the item is not prohibited by the examination rules, just wear itIt will up your confidence level and you will do better!

What To Bring To The Examination Hall

bring things to calm your mind to exam

Bring a lot of what is important. I tend to bring at least two of each type of stationery, including calculator. My rationale for doing so is because I am afraid. What if my only eraser goes missing? What if my only pen suddenly goes out of ink or the ink just won't flow? What if my calculator gives up on me in the midst of the exam? So many what-if's. Let's put these what-if's to rest. Bring as many as you like. Put your mind at ease. Tackle the paper without any worries of this sort.
On a side note, bring what you think will bring you good luck (of course nothing illegal such as the whole textbook). I bring calculator to all papers. I remember my JC classmate, Looi Sing, asked me "why the hell do you bring calculator for GP (General Paper)?" I was embarrassed to admit it was for good luck, so my answer was that I needed it to calculate the number of words I wrote for my essay. Sorry Looi Sing for hiding the truth for so long. :D

Do-Not-Bring Items
There are two sides to everything. You bring good luck items, of course you don't bring bad luck items. I remember the first time when I did well for my Physics paper (and of course I still did quite badly for all  my other papers) in secondary 3, I forgot to bring my wallet. Ever since then, I never ever bring my wallet to school during examination period, including O Levels. Yes you are right. Wallet brought me bad luck. Superstitious? Yes. Worked? 90%. What about the 10%? English, but imagine if I brought wallet for the English paper, I might have failed right?

Actions Before Examination
All the previous pointers provide us with a peace of mind unconsciously. Now, we still have to wait outside the examination hall. We still have to keep looking at our watch while carrying our stationery. Relax, make yourself comfortable while waiting. Do things to calm yourself down. I used to visit the toilet 15 minutes (no more no less) before the paper. This makes me "feel empty" and I won't feel like visiting the toilet again for the next three hours. And this ritual makes me feel lucky too!
There are certain things that you don't feel like doing before a paper. For example, I like to be alone, not talk, not mingle, not shake hands and not wishing/receiving good luck. I need time to be alone, to empty my mind so that I can enter the hall with a fresh mind. Because of this, my classmates laughed at me and joked that I didn't want to share my good luck with them. I followed my simple ritual without fail. Those who are afraid that you will be friend no more with your classmates because of "weird" actions, fear not! I am still on good terms with my JC classmates. Thank you guys! :)

Summary
The things that I did and do may seem superstitious, but who cares if it works well? Let's not care about how people may look at you (most likely no one will even care). As long as you are not doing harm to anyone, by all means make yourself feel good and comfortable! Ultimately, you are the one sitting for the examination, which may (or may not) determine your future. Your future is in both your hands, handle it well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any feedback so that I can improve. :)